Church Office: (734) 287-2080 School Office: (734) 287-3866

Home Calendar Preschool Contact Us Lutheran Worship Worship Times Pastor's Column

Worship
Sunday - 9:00 AM
Saturday & Monday - 7:00 PM

Sunday School
Sunday - 10:30 AM

Bible Study
Sunday - 10:30 AM

Preschool
Application

St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church is a congregation of just over 400 Christians of all ages. We offer a number of worship opportunities in our Historical Church. We also offer Sunday School and Bible and Study classes. Our informal Bible Study Classes meet on Sunday at 9:15am, and opportunities for Christian Fellowship abound with activities for everyone.

A Lutheran Community of faith; A Church and Preschool dedicated to sound Biblical teaching and Christian Life for those who believe in Jesus Christ, and seek a personal and corporate relationship with Him.

Founded in 1878 and incorporated as a Lutheran congregation on the corner of Northline Road and Telegraph in 1888. We are a dedicated body of believers, a part of the religious life of the Taylor community in the Detroit Area for more than 130 years!

We are known as Downriver's Historic Lutheran Church. Our faith is built on Jesus Christ, the Rock of our salvation.

We are members of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, founded in 1846 as a group of Lutheran Churches who hold to the historic teachings of the Bible and our own book of Concord dating back to 1580.

We welcome all who look for Christ where He may be found, in The Word (the Holy Bible), and the Holy Sacraments (The "Mysteries" of God) which are Baptism and the Lords Supper.

We have enjoyed an interesting history from our humble beginnings in the past two centuries. Much of our history can not be authenticated in detail. It seems certain though that the leaders were men and women with great faith and trust in the Lord, as they worshiped in a little schoolhouse of the neighborhood with various itinerant pastors from nearby cities and churches, while hoping and dreaming of building their own church.

It is believed that our congregation first began meeting around the year 1878 with guidance from Rev. C. Fetzer of St. John's Church of Wyandotte, Michigan.

The original congregation actually formed both St. John's Evangelical Church of Christ (one mile north from St. John's) when two parcels of land became available for building.

Our land, at the time approximately 1/2 acre, was purchased for $50 from Charles and Elizabeth Riedel in 1882. Soon after the little wooden church was built which served the congregation for several decades.